You don't have to tell me, I already know - you have been hankerin' for more photos from the Mysterious Benefactor! Ol' Major Pepperidge is nothing if not generous, brilliant, and humble, so I will make your MB dreams come true.
(Note: about a month ago, TokyoMagic and Mike Cozart informed me that the genial gentleman in today's photos was Mike O'Brien, a beloved cast member for many years).
Among the hundreds of scans are quite a few featuring a gentleman ("Mike") who looks like he came directly from Central Casting. "Thelma Lou, we are looking for a man to portray a riverboat captain. He should be between 50 and 65, with a cheerful disposition, but he should exude a quiet authority".
Mike knew every inch of the Rivers of America, even if it jumped its banks and change course overnight! Treacherous snags and sand bars didn't bother him. Boiler explosions? Don't make him laugh. Why, he could navigate the entire route using only his sense of smell.
These slides were pretty dark, so it might be hard for you to see how much Mike resembles Alan Hale Jr., aka the Skipper from "Gilligan's Isle". Suddenly I wish I wore a red string tie every day.
I would love to know Cap'n Mike's story... how long did he work at the park? There are photos of him aboard the Columbia as well, so he could pilot any vessel, probably. He'd ring the bell, and blow the whistle, and spit tobakky juice with deadly aim.
Cap'n Mike loved to meet the guests, and regale them with stories of his years on the river. The guests smile and nod, and wonder if he realizes that he works at a theme park.
Don't be sad, you'll be seeing more of Cap'n Mike real soon.




0 Comments