Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Bird of Paradise



I've seen the mold of this bisque porcelain Parian jug reproduced in a cruder and heavier form, but never rendered as beautifully as this one. But then, as you know, I have a thing for white.



The jug is showcased with a few pieces of early English transferware that I found together in a Santa Barbara thrift store--one of my favorite destinations-- and one I rarely visit.


But the whole scene is really set for the sake of my Johnson Bros. Bird of Paradise transferware dinner plates!



I have placed my Wallace family silverware on the table, but had to remove the closeup view because of the tarnish! I'll have to speak to the maid! Ha!


I am crazy over monogram silver, and am lucky enough to have the provenance of a few scattered pieces. This spoon has my husband's Grandmother's name from 1912 as you see.


And another with initials that Mr. Hubs still shares.



I love how it's the brown transferware that works so well with white decorating schemes because it's a neutral.



This decorative china needs to be seen close up to be appreciated, and that's another benefit of intimate little soirees!



These serving pieces are over a hundred years old.



I think I spotted them on a table in the movie Howard's End by Merchant Ivory. You must see that excellent film if only for the table settings!



But of course the Bird of Paradise needs so much more scrutiny!



Setting a table with this pattern is like an afternoon spent in the art gallery!












Voila!



Add a few simple napkins. Much more and you have one too many frous! I think there is nothing more luxurious than a plain large thick and soft white cotton or linen napkin for elegance. I'm so annoyed with those anti-absorbent things restaurants give you that slip off your lap all during dinner!



But lace at the hem is always a wonderful choice for a table covering--either peeking under layers or laid over.





Thanks so much for coming by to have a look!
Ciao! for now! And happy tablescaping!

Jacqueline

Linked with Between Naps on the Porch
A Few of My Favorite Things
House in the Roses


Post a Comment

0 Comments