Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Holy Birds, Holy Trees


Welcome to "The Gods Are Bored," where we worship vultures!

You think that's crazy? Well, who or what do you worship? Some jealous bearded dude in the sky who thinks you're never good enough? Maybe the Almighty Dollar? Or, you bottom feeder, yourself?

Ever seen a sky full of vultures, honing in on tall pine trees for a night's roost? It's a moving sight indeed.

This afternoon I watched the vultures congregate in my personal Mecca, Wenonah, New Jersey. They wafted over me so close to the ground I could hear the soft swish of their wing feathers. I don't know how I missed this in all the years of buzzard-gazing, but they use their tails as rudders for steering, as well as their wings.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Behold the Sacred Thunderbird, rider of the air, custodian of the planet, imparting to the living viewer nothing more than a spectacle of grace.

Our operators are standing by to take your call.
Photo: Vultures of Wenonah, New Jersey

Post a Comment

0 Comments