This is my favourite picture of my fuzzy grey girl-friend, Nigella the rabbit. She would let me scratch her nose and behind the ears all day if I had the time.
When I'm on midnights, as I was this week, I always go downstairs and let her out for her daily romp before showering and going to sleep.
Earlier this week she was fine, but yesterday she seemed a bit lethargic. She was at least 8 1/2 years old though, so she didn't always spring out of the cage in the morning, so I didn't think much of it. She otherwise seemed quite healthy and active earlier in the week, and a well cared for bunny can live to 12 years or so.
This morning however, when I went downstairs she was already gone to the Big Meadow. So whatever killed her didn't drag out any pain at least.
When I got up at lunch time we buried her in the back shrub border under a new smoke bush.
So now, out of Nigella and her four off-spring we only have the two boys left; Biggles and Gordy. We all actually thought Nigella would have outlived Gordy.

0 Comments