| picture from here |
Some things to think about before you press go with the Estate Agent.
Did I say clean?
- Clean clean clean.
Mostly I would say, really look around at the other houses in the area. Then on rightmove, top of the screen there is an area that tells you the prices of the houses that have sold in the area. You can check back through the last 15 years worth of sales. If you are lucky the pictures will still be on the posts you can see how your house stacks up against it all. I would look up to half a mile from your postal code. It will look like the below
Be ready, for people to give feedback on your house. You must take this as an opportunity to change or remedy anything quickly that you have over looked.
Clean! And clean again!
This being the 14th house, I am your nightmare buyer. I will open every cupboard and sniff for damp. I will get down on my hands and knees and look in the cupboards next to your washing machine and dish washer. All your net curtains? I will be look behind those to see the window frames and header above. Constantly checking for mould and damp. Fitted wardrobes that will stay? I am looking in those as well.
Got a loft? I have a ladder in my car and a torch and head lamp. Garage - I want to see in there as well, dont bother to lock it as I will only ask the estate agent to get you to get the key. I am not parting with 100's of thousands of pounds and not looking every where. Sorry that is just how it is.
All of this is what I know and think, it obviously isnt completely comprehensive, each person and property is different and this is just my opinion and what I will be looking for and at.
When selling our houses, we have a folder that we keep in the kitchen and a copy we give to the estate agent. In it we list all of the local schools, how frequent the buses are, any certificates we have for works done ie Fensa certs for windows and doors, insulation, plans for extensions and the planning permission when granted, a copy of the last electricity and gas bill - if you want put it in for a year, to give people an idea of how much it costs to run, a copy of the council tax and anything else that you think can help. You may as well collect it all in the one place as your solicitor is going to ask you for most of these, as they will be given to the new owners. Get them ready, make 3 copies, one for yourself, one for the kitchen folder and one for the Estate Agent. The originals keep them together for the Solicitor. Simples right. Who doesnt want to know about these things when moving, all things that you have to think about.
As a parting word before I move on to other things...
Also be ready for people to drive by your house and even sit there at different times of day to guage traffic and the neighbours...
If you have any tips please leave them in the comments I will add them to a final post about houses.
Good luck, may your house sell fast and you find your new home quickly.
0 Comments