Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

What's wrong with you people?



By you people, I don't really mean YOU. I am referring to all the parents out there that are not taking their kids trick or treating. I thought it was just me, but it seems like a lot of us didn't get too many trick or treaters for Halloween. In fact, for the second year in a row, I didn't have a single child knock on my door begging for candy. What's going on? Do people not go trick or treating anymore? You can't blame the economy on this one, can you? 

Growing up in a rural area, I never had the pleasure of passing out candy on Halloween. I lived in the same house my entire life and we never had a single trick or treater. When I moved to California, I thought all of that would change. I was thrilled at the opportunity to scare children when I answered the door and to check out the creative costumes. Nope. Dreams shattered. I have lived here for four and a half years now and I can probably count the trick or treaters on one hand.



Is trick or treating destined to become a dying tradition? Will dressing up in skanky costumes and drinking as much beer as humanly possible become the sole activities of Halloween? I also don't see nearly as many jack-o-lanterns, haunted houses/corn mazes, and decorations as I used to. The tradition is slowly falling apart. I even attended a Halloween party on the 30th where the costumed guests were less than 1/5 of the attendants, where there were zero decorations, and where absolutely none of the activities had to do with Halloween. It wasn't a Halloween party; it was an excuse to get drunk. Although this accounts for the festivities of the 20 and 30 somethings, what about the children? They don't have parties and alcohol to distract them from the holiday, but the general attitude of apathy appears to be spreading to all ages. 

This was a just a random thought after reading some blog posts about the lack of trick or treaters out there. What do you guys think? How many trick or treaters did you get? Do you see the same changes I do?
    

Post a Comment

0 Comments