Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Review: Carol

Now you have my curiosity.

Therese (Rooney Mara) is a young woman working in a department story. She doesn't care much for the job, she really wants to be a photographer instead. One day she helps a woman named Carol, (Cate Blanchett) the curious attraction is there right away. When Carol leaves her gloves and Therese returns them, they strike up a friendship that eventually leads to something more. But this is the 1950's and Carol's soon to be ex husband Harge (Kyle Chandler) prove to be road blocks.

I read the novel this was based on a few months ago and just wasn't a fan. While I appreciate it for the time it was released, I thought it was dull. The film manages to be a little bit more dramatic, but the story still lacks depth.

The film is shot beautifully. It absolutely deserves its cinematography Oscar nom, if it didn't look like it does, it would be much worse. Blanchett and Mara are also great in their roles. They manage to teeter on their emotions. You always think things are going to go out of control, but they remain stern. Sarah Paulson and John Magaro also have small parts in which they do a great job. I'm still no fan of Kyle Chandler, the quality seems to drop when he's on screen.

Carol made me rethink how I initially graded The Danish Girl and The Hateful Eight. I actually went back and changed them, which is something I never do. With these three films, I felt like I was grading them for the way I wanted to see them and not how I really did. Because truth be told, I wanted to like these films more, but I just didn't. They had moments of brilliance, but were ultimately let downs.

Recommended: Yes (for the technical aspects of the film)

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "I suppose you thought it was a man who sent back your gloves." - Therese (Rooney Mara)

Post a Comment

0 Comments